Best Fights in Boston Sports History. You have to watch this video!

Friday, March 21, 2008

Top 5 Fights in Red Sox History #1

IZZY ALCANTARA LOSES HIS MIND






Number One

Alright, I realize that I am probably going to have a lot of people who disagree with Izzy Alcantara and the Pawtucket Red Sox holding down the number one spot on my list, but how can you watch a hitter kick the catcher in the face before charging the mound and not think that is something special!

I'll shed some light on what led up to the action.

In the first meeting of the season between the Paw Sox and the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons back in May 2001, Alcantara was plunked in the shoulder by Scranton pitcher Pete Zamora after hitting two homers off another pitcher. Now, fast forward to July and we have the two teams meeting again. Alcantara, who was the International League leader in batting and home runs, hits another homer off of Zamora and proceeds to make his way around the bases at a snails pace. Later in the game the Red Barons pitcher, Blas Cedeno, brushes Izzy of the plate with an inside fastball and Izzy obviously takes exception to this. He decides to express his displeasure by kicking the catcher, Jeremy Salazar, in the face and then proceeds to charge the mound. For his troubles he received a six game suspension and an undisclosed fine. In the end, I'm sure he would say it was all worth it just to hold the number one spot on my list of top 5 fights in Red Sox history!

Disclaimer

I know that I left the 1976 Red Sox/Yankees, Fisk vs. Piniella, brawl off the list but the truth is I have only seen clips of it and I am to young to have seen it unfold live. I'm sure if I was around to see it it would be on the list. The clips I have seen looked pretty intense.

BallHype: hype it up!

0 comments: